Sunday, February 17, 2002

An Updated Web Site!

We have a new record - it's only been 12 days since the last major update of the web site. (This reference is to our previous web site - Deb 2011.) I'm not counting blog updates because it is easier to update the blog than the rest of the site. Because we're studying HTML and JavaScript I find I'm spending a lot of time trying new things out on the web site and correcting errors in my original code. At the same time, I want to ensure that the web content does not fall too far behind the blog.

This post contains some general news on our Virtual Uni courses and driving in the States. You'll find any news relating to our day trips in Tony's posts. I get my chance to talk about our trips when I set up the photo pages.

Back to School

Whose idea was it to do some Virtual Uni courses? Depending on how much time we put into the assignments, Tony and I are spending 8-12 hours a week on course work - not necessarily at the same time. With shopping, housework and laundry, there's not a lot of time left for sightseeing.

Despite all that, I am enjoying both courses although it is frustrating working through the JavaScript content. The course material for HTML is clear and well presented, the instructors are helpful and encouraging, and many useful, online references have been provided. In three weeks we have learnt enough to create some pretty decent web pages.

On the other hand, the JavaScript course content is very high-level and contradictory. For example, we were told to place all our JavaScript code in one part of our document file and then the example showed the code in another. I feel like the dummy in the class because, unlike everyone else, I raise questions on content and concepts, not just on the assignments. Maybe it's just the technical writer in me being picky?

About a day or two after the week's material is posted, I think the JavaScript instructor logs in to answer questions. At that time, only one or two people have started the assignment and posted their questions or work on the bulletin board. The rest of the week, we have a tutor checking and answering questions related to the week's assignments. So far my questions on concepts have gone unanswered and my question on this week's assignment received an answer not related to my question. Very annoying!

Although the prequisite for the course was that students be "familiar with basic HTML and able to create a simple web page", there seems to be an assumption that you've also done some computer programming. We're halfway through the course and have learnt how to:

  • Display pop-up message boxes but not how to manipulate the response from the user.
  • Assign and compare values but not told when we might do so.
  • Change messages in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Not very useful. If it wasn't for our programming background, Tony and I think we would be struggling. We're basically learning JavaScript by sounding ideas of each other, experimenting with different functions, applying coding structures from our programming experience, and debugging each other's code. But we're getting there - see what happens when you move your cursor on and off one of the options on our menu bar.

Driving in the U.S.

I think one of the questions most Australians ask other Australians who live in the U.S. is "what is it like driving on the right-hand side?". I find it stressful - I grip the steering wheel tightly, concentrate on the driving and try to keep out of harm's way in the far right lane.

I had to condition myself to:

  • Approach the left-hand side of the car, not the right.
  • Stay in my lane.
    I have a tendency to drift to the right as I try to leave room for overtaking vehicles.
  • Drive on the right-hand side of the road.
    At the start, Tony had to constantly remind me "hard right, big left". And you know how in Australia you can turn left without worrying about oncoming traffic. Well, I tended to forget that I need to do that when I turn left in the U.S.
  • Reverse park on the right.
    This has always been my weakness. Mind you, now that we are coming back to Australia I don't seem to have any problems.

Driving on the right was becoming "normal" for me until I visited Singapore and Nepal where they drive on the left-hand side of the road. The taxis at Singapore airport park nose-to-kerb. I remember putting my luggage in the boot and then hesitating because I couldn't remember which side was the passenger side. Luckily, it didn't take long to get back to "normal" when I returned to the States.

I've only had one scare. I was test-driving our car on some quiet roads and turned right to go back down the hill towards the car yard. Luckily it was a windy road - I didn't realise I was on the wrong side until I saw some cars coming up the hill in my lane - but at least they were going so slowly so I could back into the correct lane!

One of the new rules I had to learn was the right-of-way rule at intersections with 4-way stop signs. Before you can go, you need to:

  1. Stop at the intersection.
  2. Look around and see who is already waiting.
  3. Let those who arrived before you go.

If you arrive at an intersection at the same time as another vehicle, you give way to your right. (This seems to be the only rule that is not the reverse of the Australian rule).

The whole right-of-way rule seemed silly at first, but as Tony said it's really America's answer to the roundabout. If anything, it is a better rule. Everyone gets a turn unlike roundabouts where one stream of traffic tends to get right of way. The rule also applies when lights at an intersection are out, even if it is an intersection between a major and minor road. This seems fairer than Australia where there always seem to be confusion, the vehicles on the main road get right of way and if you want to turn right onto the main road, you do so with extreme caution.

American drivers seem to be more aggressive and impatient that in Australia. For example:

  • In America you can turn left into any lane and you can turn right on a red light. The tricky part is when you approach an intersection to turn right and the lights are changing - you can never be sure if there will be oncoming traffic that want to turn left into the lane. People have blown their horns on me a number of times because I waited just that bit longer to see which way the traffic was coming or I forgot that I could turn right on the red light.
  • You are entering an 8-lane highway, 4 lanes each way. You need to merge into the next lane to avoid being in the "Exit Only" lane. The challenge - four lanes of peak-hour traffic speeding past at 80 mph (130 km/h) exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph. I can't count the number of times I've been stuck and forced to take the exit.
  • I am waiting at a stop light to turn left and there is an oncoming car. The stop light turns red just as he reaches the intersection and because I am behind the line I don't go. Next thing I hear is the horn behind me and the driver abusing me for not going. I can actually hear his words even though all my windows are wound up!

I don't know - maybe it's the enforced holiday or I'm just being overly cautious - but it doesn't seem worth it to risk an accident just to save a few minutes.

I feel like I'm on a bit of roll here but I promised myself I would try to cut down on my blogs. So, until next time, take care and stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments for posts older than 14 days will not be immediately displayed. We review these comments before publishing them for public display.